Saturday, January 23, 2010
Flights
This is the first one. I am new to the whole blogging world but I only assume to get better at it as I see myself updating it a lot. I took off from Kansas City International at 1:52 PM on January 21st, 2010 this flight was only a short one to Chicago but I only had an hour layover and knew that it was possible I could be in a rush to find my next gate. When I arrived my next gate was right next to the one that I flew into so that was a relief. I left Chicago at 4:25 PM headed to Dusseldorf. This flight was awesome the plane that we took was huge with your personal touch screen television in the back of every head rest. The flight was 8 hours and 10 minutes long and I couldn't sleep a wink. They served fabulous chicken teriyaki and the best part open bar the entire flight. I was a little disappointed that we flew in the dark as I didn't get to see a lot out my window. We flew right over Dublin in the dark and could only see the lights but the city was immense. Even miles above it the lights seemed to go forever in every direction. When we finally arrived in Dusseldorf it was 7:35 their time. We had a 50 minute lay over and a fun security check. The security check confused me because I had just gotten off my second plane for the day and obviously couldn't miraculously make a bomb appear in my bag. It never fails everything was good to go but when I went to pick up my book bag the guy looks at me and says "you American" to which I replied "Yes." Wrong response I guess because he then had to look through my book bag by hand. One of the girls traveling with us from FHSU had even more fun when the guy dumped her purse out and had to inspect every crevasse to no avail. Here we got our passports stamped and went to find our next gate. I had been flying all day and my want for a cigarette was getting to me. When I got to my next gate I walked down the stairs and saw that we were taking a little puddle jumper that we had to get bused out to my hopes were high that I could sneak one in while they loaded the plane with luggage. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. So my now grumpy self loaded on this plane and prepared for take off. We headed to Turin at 8:30 AM in the morning and for the first time all day the seat next to me was empty and I had room to relax. On the way I studied up on my Italian phrases which I must say are terrible as of now. There was a thick sheet of clouds underneath us and it looked like an endless snow plain so I paid little attention out my window until I saw the guy in front of me staring intently out of his. I looked out and now all you could see was the top of the Alps sticking out of the clouds it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I posted these pictures on my Facebook page. I got a kick out of the guy next to me because he obviously was terrified of flying and was sheet white gripping his arm rests the entire time and every time the plane would jump a little he looked as if his life was over. To make matters worse when we went to land we had to go back down below the clouds and we kept going down, and going down, and going down and still all you could see was the clouds out my window. All of a sudden I see the roof of a house and we are right on top of it and touch down ten seconds later. All I can say is I am glad I wasn't flying the plane because he landed it completely blind. It was now 10:05 AM current time and we were headed to get our luggage. The six FHSU people that went didn't lose one bag which surprised me because of the three switches of planes. We all were going into this blind and only hoping that there was someone waiting at the exit to pick us up. When we got to the "uscita" we were all relieved to see someone holding a sign saying "Welcome SJIU Students." We loaded into two vans packed to the gills with what must of been 20 bags of luggage and off to Vinovo we went.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment